Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Ideas are worthless.

Stick a pin in the "Big Idea"
Can you really value an idea if you haven't done anything about it?  Or for that matter, is there value to an idea if you haven't done it well?  Maybe i was a little late in my "discovery" of Pintrest.com, or rather my interest in Pintrest.  Is it really that important if I can read about "freezer friendly make ahead meals" or view a picture of a cool "look for spring"?

My first thought was, "Who really cares?" And 40 minutes later, while I was writing an idea for a poster design for my internship that was inspired by a photo on the site, I thought, "Oh, wait I do."

With sites like Pintrest, its easy to see website trends moving in a different direction.  Stepping away from Facebook and Twitter, this site takes on an ability to inspire people to actually execute their ideas.  As humans we appreciate the gratifying effect of praise, and being able to receive feedback on something as simple as a "Mason Jar drink dispenser", the encouragement of acting on an idea is given.



Pintrest can inspire you to fulfill your dreams.
I'll admit, it is a bit of an exaggeration.  However, Pintrest users are passing along well-executed ideas on this website, why can't you execute your own ideas in your desired job field?  I asked myself the same question, and I came up with this:  My ideas about my career are completely worthless if I do not execute them, and execute them well.  Otherwise, ideas and interests hold no value.

What is my point?
An article by Sarah Kessler in an article DigitalMash.com said about Pintrest that "It drives more traffic to websites than Google+, YouTube and LinkedIn combined.  As it has gained in popularity, so too has its unusual design."  As did the entrepreneurs of Pintrest have an idea for a website to inspire others and made it happen, the importance of making your own ideas into reality truly defines the value of those ideas.  Sounds cliché?  After spending almost an hour on this new and popular website, I decided to start looking up 3-D Maya design classes in my area to create new designs for my internship based on ideas I've had.  I may not "pin" them on the internet, but they will certainly pinned in my own future success if done well.

No comments:

Post a Comment